Commandants House Garden Project – Final Post

As promised in our last post about the Commandant’s House Garden, this is an update on what we have been working on in regard to this project. Since our last post, we have made a lot of progress. After a final list of the plants and trees that will be in the new garden was made, we had to establish a budget that couldn’t exceed the funding that we currently have. The best way for us to come up with the most beneficial budget was to make our orders from nurseries that would be able to deliver to us the plants and trees that we want at an affordable price. We decided to get price estimates from five local nurseries. We called each nursery and spent a considerable amount of time talking with them about what we were looking for. Three of the five nurseries that we called were able to provide us with the information that we needed. Those three nurseries are: Northeast, Weston, Cavicchios. After we got the price estimates from these three nurseries, we compared them to see which one was the most affordable. At the end, we decided that it would be best to order the plants from one nursery and the threes from another because one nursery has the most affordable plants and the other the most affordable trees. We finalized our budget then proposed it to the person who will be in charge of making the orders sometime this summer. Since it was our first time making a budget, it was a little challenging for us at the beginning because we did not know how exactly to do it. Once we decided how we were going to do it, it got easier from there. Another interesting part of coming up with this budget was making phone calls to get the price estimates from the nurseries.  This was interesting to us because it is not something that we do every day. At the end we were glad that we were able to come up with a budget that is a little less than the funding that we currently have.

At this point, there is still a lot of work to be done in order to complete this project, but during these previous weeks, a lot of progress has been made. Thanks to a crew from the Student Conservation Association, all the old plants have been removed from the garden. The garden looks very different today compared to when we first started working on it and in a few months, it will look even better and more welcoming. We will continue to keep you updated as we move forward.

Before/After Photos:

Before – View of the Commandants House in the Charlestown Navy Yard

Before – View of the harbor


After – removed the shrubs, what a difference!


3 responses to “Commandants House Garden Project – Final Post

  1. Thanks for the update. The before and after pictures really build excitement for this renovation. Good luck with the next steps.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s